CDSquee and I caught onto the Charlie Davidson series by Darynda Jones when her first book, First Grave on the Right came out a few years back. These books remind me somewhat of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich except with a supernatural twist. Charlie is a private investigator and also a grim reaper; she solves corporeal cases with the aid of the ghostly victims with whom she can see and speak. She’s also the love interest of Reyes Farrow, who happens to be the literal son of Satan…but that’s a long story.
The books are funny and quick to read. The relationship between Charlie and Reyes is steamy. If I have any criticism, it’s that books with spunky, sarcastic, ham-it-up characters can sometimes get annoying by the end of a book. What starts out as a great character quickly becomes a bad caricature. Charlie Davidson hovers on the border between funny and annoying, but I like her enough to keep reading.
One of the highlights of these books is the author’s clever (?) use of t-shirt slogans and bumper sticker quotes at the beginning of each chapter. The quote usually has something to do with what is going to happen later in the book.
Here are my top 15 favorite t-shirt/bumper stickers from Fifth Grave Past the Light:
- I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
- 667: The neighbor of the beast.
- I’m a virgin. But this is an old shirt.
- I may not have any skeletons in my closet, but I do have a little box of souls in my sock drawer.
- I’m not 100 percent certain, but I think my cup of coffee just said, “You’re my bitch.”
- I am currently unsupervised. It freaks me out, too, but the possibilities are endless.
- It’s all fun and games until someone loses a testicle.
- Whoever is in charge of making sure I don’t do stupid shit is fired.
- My goal in life is to have a psychiatric disorder named after me.
- To save time, let’s assume I know everything.
- If it weren’t for physics and law enforcement, I’d be unstoppable.
- If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
- By reading this, you have given me brief control over your mind.
- What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us.
- I came into this world covered in someone else’s blood and screaming. I’m not afraid to leave it the same way.